Gama Windows & Doors to turn your house into a home
Gama Windows is a trusted provider of windows, doors and roofline services for existing homes in the higher Dublin region. Our team has been crafting stunning bespoke products for over 35 years.
We supply high quality, energy-efficient and burglar-resistant items as standard. But we do not jeopardize on style either. From preliminary design to worry-free setup, our experts are here to direct you every action of the way.
There are different kinds of doors utilized in developing works categorized based on placing of parts, approach of construction, working operations and construction material used. A door is an accessible barrier which is supplied in a wall opening to give an access to the within a space of a building. The internal portions of a structure are linked by doors.
Types of Doors Utilized in Building Construction
Types of Doors based on Placement of Parts
Based on the plan of door elements, the doors are categorized as following,
1. Battened and Ledged Doors
- Battens are vertical bonds which are having grooves are connected together by horizontal supports called ledges as displayed in listed below figure.
- General Dimensions of batten are 100-150mm width and 20-30mm thick.
- General dimension of ledges are 100-200mm width and 25-30mm thick.
- This kind of battened and ledged doors ideal for narrow openings.
2. Battened, Ledged and Braced Doors
- To make more stiff, braces are offered diagonally in extra to battens and ledges as shown in figure.
- Braces are having 100-150mm width and 25-30mm density are preferable.
- Braces should place upwards from handing side, then they acts as struts and take compression.
- These kind of doors can be used for broader openings.
3. Battened, Ledged and Framed Doors
- For the easy battened and ledged door, framework is offered in the form of 2 verticals, called stiles.
- Stiles are normally 100mm wide and as far as thickness is worried, the thickness of stile should amount to the combined thickness of ledge and batten. Ideally 40 mm.
4. Battened, Ledged, Braced and Framed Doors
- In this type, the door made up of battens, ledges, braces and stiles. So, it is more stiff.
- The braces are linked diagonally in between the ledges, at about 40mm from the stiles.
Types of Doors based upon Technique of Building:
Based upon the method of construction, the doors are once again classified into 5 types and they are:
5. Framed and Panelled Doors
- These are really strong and will give good appearance when compared to battened doors. These are the widely used doors in almost all kinds of buildings.
- Stiles, vertical members and rails, horizontal members are grooved along the inner edges of frame to get the panels.
- The panels are made up of lumber or plywood or A.C. sheets or glass.
- These doors may be single leaf for narrow openings and double leaf for broader openings.
- Minimum width of stile ought to be 100 mm and minimum width of bottom and locked rail ought to be 150mm.
6. Glazed Doors
- Glazed doors are normally supplied in interior wall openings or in hospitals, colleges and so on.
- The interior of room shows up through glazed doors and light likewise passes through glazed part of the door.
- These might be completely glazed or partially glazed and partly panelled. Glass panels are provided for glazed doors.
7. Flush Doors
In flush doors, a solid or semi-solid or core part is covered on both sides with plywood or face veneer. Now a days these type of doors are commonly utilized because of great appearance, financial, ease of building and construction and higher resilience.
There are 2 kinds of Flushed doors:
Solid Core or Laminated Core Flush Door
- The core part in solid core flush door consists of core strips of wood which are glued under high pressure condition. Similarly in the laminated core, battens of 25mm width are glued under high pressure.
- These doors consists of wooden frame with stiles and rails for holding the core.
- Finally plywood sheets or face veneer and cross-bands are glued under pressure on both side of doors.
Hollow core and cellular core flush door
- In this case likewise stiles and rails are offered frame. But, a minimum of 2 intermediate rails ought to be provided.
- The inner space of door consists of equally space battens of width 25mm each. Other space is called void space which does not surpass 40% of the location of door.
- Here likewise deal with veneer and cross-bands are glued under high pressure.
8. Louvered Doors
- The louvers permit natural ventilation when the door is closed and also offer privacy in the space.
- These are typically used for toilets of domestic and public buildings.
- The door might be completely louvered are partly louvered.
- Louvers are made up of timber or glass or plywood and these may be either fixed or movable.
9. Wire Gauged Doors
Wire determined doors allows natural ventilation and limit the entry of flies, mosquitoes, insects etc. These doors are frequently utilized in hotels, restaurants and for cabinets consisting of foodstuffs.
Kinds of Doors based upon Working Operations
The doors are categorized on the basis of working operations as:
10. Revolving Doors
Revolving doors are only offered in public buildings like museums, banks, libraries and so on, because of consistent visitors. It consists mullion at its centre to which four radiating shutters are attached.
11. Moving Doors
In this type, with the help of runners and guide rails the door slides to the sides. The door might have one or more sliding shutter depending up on the opening readily available.
12. Swing Doors
In this case, the shutter is attached to frame by double action spring which assists the shutter to move inwards as well as outwards.
13. Collapsible Steel Doors
Collapsible steel doors are normally utilized for workshops, sheds, storage facilities etc. It acts like a steel curtain which will opened or closed by horizontal pull or push. Vertical double channel units of (20x10x2 mm) are spaced at 100 to 120 mm thick and are braced flat iron diagonals 10 to 20mm wide and 5mm thick.
14. Rolling Steel Shutter Doors
Rolling steel shutter doors are typically used for storage facilities, garages, shops and so on. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together.
Types of Doors based upon Products:
Doors are made up of wood, glass, metals. Wood doors are already gone over in the 1t category and glass doors are nothing but glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are explained listed below.
15. Mild Steel Sheet Doors
- The door frame is comprised of angle or T-sections.
- Shutter is made up of frame of angle of iron, having 2 verticals a minimum of 3 horizontal.
- Mild steel plates are bonded to the shutter frame.
16. Corrugated Steel Sheet Doors
These are same as mild steel sheet doors, however in place of mild steel sheet corrugated steel sheet is bonded.
17. Hollow Metal Doors
Hollow steel areas are used to make these doors. The stiles and rails etc., are reinforced by welding small T or I areas inside.
18. Metal Covered Plywood Doors
- This kind of door is a composite building of hollow metal door and wood door.
- The door is encased in tight fitting sheet metal, having tightly folded joints to omit air so that the core of the door does not spark. So, it serves as fireproof.
Retractable steel doors are normally utilized for workshops, sheds, storage facilities and so on. Rolling steel shutter doors are commonly utilized for storage facilities, garages, stores and so on. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together. Wood doors are currently gone over in the 1t classification and glass doors are nothing however glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are explained below.
Gama Windows & Doors Services
Upon customer request, we can also implement additional substances to products, such as window screens, air vents, and electric drives (motors).
* NOTE: Please check all type of products and services we offer: main page for general info on windows and doors, wood windows, front doors, folding doors, hs sliding doors, psk patio sliding doors, sash windows, H-Axis pivot windows, tilt and turn windows, top swing windows, scandinavian top swing windows and benefit from our discounts. Or just simply contact us for a free quote. Please also have a look at our amazing testimonials and gallery (about us).