Gama Windows & Doors to turn your home into a home
Gama Windows is a trusted provider of windows, doors and roofline services for existing homes in the greater Dublin area. Our team has been crafting lovely bespoke products for over 35 years.
We offer high quality, energy-efficient and burglar-resistant items as requirement. But we do not jeopardize on style either. From preliminary design to trouble-free installation, our experts are here to direct you every action of the method.
There are different types of doors utilized in developing works classified based upon placement of parts, technique of construction, working operations and building product utilized. A door is an available barrier which is provided in a wall opening to provide an access to the within a room of a building. The internal portions of a building are connected by doors.
Types of Doors Utilized in Structure Construction
Kinds of Doors based upon Placement of Elements
Based upon the plan of door components, the doors are categorized as following,
1. Battened and Ledged Doors
- Battens are vertical bonds which are having grooves are attached together by horizontal supports called ledges as shown in below figure.
- General Dimensions of batten are 100-150mm width and 20-30mm thick.
- General measurement of ledges are 100-200mm width and 25-30mm thick.
- This type of battened and ledged doors ideal for narrow openings.
2. Battened, Ledged and Braced Doors
- To make more stiff, braces are supplied diagonally in extra to battens and ledges as shown in figure.
- Braces are having 100-150mm width and 25-30mm density are preferable.
- Braces must put upwards from handing side, then they functions as struts and take compression.
- These kind of doors can be utilized for wider openings.
3. Battened, Ledged and Framed Doors
- For the basic battened and ledged door, structure is offered in the form of two verticals, called stiles.
- Stiles are normally 100mm large and as far as thickness is concerned, the density of stile need to be equal to the combined density of ledge and batten. Ideally 40 mm.
4. Battened, Ledged, Braced and Framed Doors
- In this type, the door made up of battens, stiles, braces and ledges. It is more stiff.
- The braces are linked diagonally between the ledges, at about 40mm from the stiles.
Kinds of Doors based on Method of Construction:
Based on the approach of building and construction, the doors are once again categorized into 5 types and they are:
5. Framed and Panelled Doors
- These are really strong and will give good look when compared to battened doors. These are the widely utilized doors in almost all kinds of structures.
- Stiles, vertical members and rails, horizontal members are grooved along the inner edges of frame to receive the panels.
- The panels are made up of timber or plywood or A.C. sheets or glass.
- These doors may be single leaf for narrow openings and double leaf for wider openings.
- Minimum width of stile ought to be 100 mm and minimum width of bottom and locked rail must be 150mm.
6. Glazed Doors
- Glazed doors are normally provided in interior wall openings or in health centers, colleges and so on.
- The interior of space shows up through glazed doors and light also goes through glazed portion of the door.
- These might be totally glazed or partially glazed and partially panelled. Glass panels are provided for glazed doors.
7. Flush Doors
In flush doors, a solid or semi-solid or core portion is covered on both sides with plywood or face veneer. Now a days these kind of doors are commonly used because of good look, financial, ease of building and construction and greater durability.
There are 2 types of Flushed doors:
Strong Core or Laminated Core Flush Door
- The core part in solid core flush door includes core strips of lumber which are glued under high pressure condition. Similarly in the laminated core, battens of 25mm width are glued under high pressure.
- These doors includes wooden frame with stiles and rails for holding the core.
- Lastly plywood sheets or face veneer and cross-bands are glued under pressure on both side of doors.
Hollow core and cellular core flush door
- In this case likewise stiles and rails are offered frame. However, a minimum of two intermediate rails need to be offered.
- The inner area of door includes similarly space battens of width 25mm each. Other space is called void space which does not go beyond 40% of the location of door.
- Here also face veneer and cross-bands are glued under high pressure.
8. Louvered Doors
- The louvers permit natural ventilation when the door is closed and likewise provide personal privacy in the room.
- These are usually utilized for toilets of public and residential buildings.
- The door may be completely louvered are partly louvered.
- Louvers are comprised of lumber or glass or plywood and these might be either fixed or movable.
9. Wire Gauged Doors
Wire gauged doors permits natural ventilation and limit the entry of flies, mosquitoes, bugs etc. These doors are commonly utilized in hotels, restaurants and for cabinets including foodstuffs.
Kinds of Doors based on Working Operations
The doors are classified on the basis of working operations as:
10. Revolving Doors
Revolving doors are only supplied in public structures like museums, banks, libraries and so on, because of constant visitors. It consists mullion at its centre to which four radiating shutters are attached.
11. Moving Doors
In this type, with the help of runners and guide rails the door slides to the sides. The door might have one or more sliding shutter depending up on the opening offered.
12. Swing Doors
In this case, the shutter is attached to frame by double action spring which assists the shutter to move inwards in addition to outwards.
13. Collapsible Steel Doors
Collapsible steel doors are usually utilized for workshops, sheds, storage facilities etc. It imitates a steel curtain which will opened or nearby horizontal pull or push. Vertical double channel units of (20x10x2 mm) are spaced at 100 to 120 mm thick and are braced flat iron diagonals 10 to 20mm wide and 5mm thick.
14. Rolling Steel Shutter Doors
Rolling steel shutter doors are typically used for warehouses, garages, shops etc. These are extremely strong and offer proper security to the home. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together. A horizontal shaft is supplied in the drum which helps to open or close the shutter.
Types of Doors based on Materials:
Doors are made up of wood, glass, metals. Wood doors are currently talked about in the 1t classification and glass doors are nothing but glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are explained listed below.
15. Mild Steel Sheet Doors
- The door frame is made up of angle or T-sections.
- Shutter is comprised of frame of angle of iron, having 2 verticals a minimum of 3 horizontal.
- Moderate steel plates are welded to the shutter frame.
16. Corrugated Steel Sheet Doors
These are same as moderate steel sheet doors, but in place of moderate steel sheet corrugated steel sheet is welded.
17. Hollow Metal Doors
Hollow steel areas are used to make these doors. The rails and stiles and so on, are reinforced by welding little T or I areas inside.
18. Metal Covered Plywood Doors
- This type of door is a composite building and construction of hollow metal door and wood door.
- The door is framed in tight fitting sheet metal, having firmly folded joints to leave out air so that the core of the door does not fire up. So, it serves as fireproof.
Retractable steel doors are typically utilized for workshops, sheds, warehouses and so on. Rolling steel shutter doors are commonly utilized for storage facilities, garages, stores and so on. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together. Wood doors are already discussed in the 1t classification and glass doors are nothing but glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are explained below.
Gama Windows & Doors Services
Upon customer request, we can also implement additional substances to products, such as window screens, air vents, and electric drives (motors).
* NOTE: Please check all type of products and services we offer: main page for general info on windows and doors, wood windows, front doors, folding doors, hs sliding doors, psk patio sliding doors, sash windows, H-Axis pivot windows, tilt and turn windows, top swing windows, scandinavian top swing windows and benefit from our discounts. Or just simply contact us for a free quote. Please also have a look at our amazing testimonials and gallery (about us).