Gama Windows & Doors to turn your house into a home
Gama Windows is a trusted service provider of windows, doors and roofline services for existing homes in the higher Dublin area. Our team has been crafting beautiful bespoke items for over 35 years.
We supply high quality, burglar-resistant and energy-efficient products as requirement. But we don’t jeopardize on style either. From preliminary design to worry-free setup, our specialists are here to direct you every step of the way.
There are different types of doors used in constructing works classified based on placement of components, technique of construction, working operations and building material used. A door is an accessible barrier which is provided in a wall opening to give an access to the inside of a space of a structure. The internal portions of a structure are linked by doors.
Types of Doors Used in Structure Building
Kinds of Doors based on Placement of Parts
Based on the arrangement of door elements, the doors are categorized as following,
1. Battened and Ledged Doors
- Battens are vertical bonds which are having grooves are connected together by horizontal supports called ledges as shown in below figure.
- General Dimensions of batten are 100-150mm width and 20-30mm thick.
- General measurement of ledges are 100-200mm width and 25-30mm thick.
- This kind of battened and ledged doors ideal for narrow openings.
2. Battened, Ledged and Braced Doors
- To make more stiff, braces are offered diagonally in extra to battens and ledges as displayed in figure.
- Braces are having 100-150mm width and 25-30mm density are more effective.
- Braces should put upwards from handing side, then they functions as struts and take compression.
- These kind of doors can be utilized for wider openings.
3. Battened, Ledged and Framed Doors
- For the easy battened and ledged door, framework is supplied in the form of 2 verticals, referred to as stiles.
- Stiles are normally 100mm broad and as far as thickness is concerned, the thickness of stile need to amount to the combined thickness of ledge and batten. Preferably 40 mm.
4. Battened, Ledged, Braced and Framed Doors
- In this type, the door comprised of battens, braces, ledges and stiles. It is more rigid.
- The braces are connected diagonally between the ledges, at about 40mm from the stiles.
Kinds of Doors based on Approach of Building and construction:
Based on the technique of building, the doors are again categorized into 5 types and they are:
5. Framed and Panelled Doors
- When compared to battened doors, these are very strong and will provide great appearance. These are the commonly utilized doors in almost all kinds of buildings.
- Stiles, vertical members and rails, horizontal members are grooved along the inner edges of frame to receive the panels.
- The panels are made up of lumber or plywood or A.C. sheets or glass.
- These doors might be single leaf for narrow openings and double leaf for wider openings.
- Minimum width of stile ought to be 100 mm and minimum width of bottom and locked rail ought to be 150mm.
6. Glazed Doors
- Glazed doors are typically provided in interior wall openings or in hospitals, colleges etc.
- The interior of space shows up through glazed doors and light likewise goes through glazed part of the door.
- These may be fully glazed or partly glazed and partly panelled. Glass panels are attended to glazed doors.
7. Flush Doors
In flush doors, a solid or semi-solid or core part is covered on both sides with plywood or face veneer. Now a days these kind of doors are commonly utilized because of excellent look, financial, ease of construction and higher resilience.
There are 2 kinds of Flushed doors:
Strong Core or Laminated Core Flush Door
- The core part in solid core flush door consists of core strips of wood which are glued under high pressure condition. Likewise in the laminated core, battens of 25mm width are glued under high pressure.
- These doors consists of wooden frame with stiles and rails for holding the core.
- Lastly plywood sheets or face veneer and cross-bands are glued under pressure on both side of doors.
Hollow core and cellular core flush door
- In this case also stiles and rails are attended to frame. A minimum of two intermediate rails must be offered.
- The inner area of door consists of similarly area battens of width 25mm each. Other space is called void space which does not exceed 40% of the area of door.
- Here likewise deal with veneer and cross-bands are glued under high pressure.
8. Louvered Doors
- When the door is closed and likewise offer privacy in the space, the louvers permit natural ventilation.
- These are usually utilized for toilets of property and public buildings.
- The door might be fully louvered are partly louvered.
- Louvers are made up of wood or glass or plywood and these may be either fixed or movable.
9. Wire Gauged Doors
Wire evaluated doors allows natural ventilation and restrict the entry of flies, mosquitoes, pests and so on. These doors are typically used in hotels, dining establishments and for cabinets containing eatables.
Types of Doors based upon Working Operations
The doors are classified on the basis of working operations as:
10. Revolving Doors
Revolving doors are only supplied in public structures like museums, banks, libraries and so on, because of consistent visitors. It consists mullion at its centre to which 4 radiating shutters are attached.
11. Moving Doors
In this type, with the help of runners and guide rails the door slides to the sides. The door might have one or more moving shutter depending up on the opening offered.
12. Swing Doors
In this case, the shutter is connected to frame by double action spring which assists the shutter to move inwards in addition to outwards.
13. Collapsible Steel Doors
Collapsible steel doors are normally used for workshops, sheds, storage facilities and so on. It acts like a steel drape which will opened or nearby horizontal pull or push. Vertical double channel units of (20x10x2 mm) are spaced at 100 to 120 mm thick and are braced flat iron diagonals 10 to 20mm wide and 5mm thick.
14. Rolling Steel Shutter Doors
Rolling steel shutter doors are commonly used for storage facilities, garages, shops and so on. These are very strong and deal proper safety to the property. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together. A horizontal shaft is offered in the drum which assists to close the shutter or open.
Kinds of Doors based upon Products:
Doors are made up of wood, glass, metals. Wood doors are already gone over in the 1t category and glass doors are nothing but glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are described listed below.
15. Mild Steel Sheet Doors
- The door frame is made up of angle or T-sections.
- Shutter is made up of frame of angle of iron, having 2 verticals at least 3 horizontal.
- Mild steel plates are bonded to the shutter frame.
16. Corrugated Steel Sheet Doors
These are like moderate steel sheet doors, however in place of moderate steel sheet corrugated steel sheet is bonded.
17. Hollow Metal Doors
Hollow steel areas are utilized to make these doors. The stiles and rails etc., are strengthened by welding small T or I sections inside.
18. Metal Covered Plywood Doors
- This kind of door is a composite construction of hollow metal door and wood door.
- The door is enclosed in tight fitting sheet metal, having actually tightly folded joints to omit air so that the core of the door does not fire up. It acts as fireproof.
Retractable steel doors are typically used for workshops, sheds, warehouses and so on. Rolling steel shutter doors are typically used for storage facilities, garages, stores and so on. The door consists frame, drum and a shutter of thin steel plate inter locked together. Wood doors are already discussed in the 1t classification and glass doors are nothing but glazed doors. Types of Metals doors are explained below.
Gama Windows & Doors Services
Upon customer request, we can also implement additional substances to products, such as window screens, air vents, and electric drives (motors).
* NOTE: Please check all type of products and services we offer: main page for general info on windows and doors, wood windows, front doors, folding doors, hs sliding doors, psk patio sliding doors, sash windows, H-Axis pivot windows, tilt and turn windows, top swing windows, scandinavian top swing windows and benefit from our discounts. Or just simply contact us for a free quote. Please also have a look at our amazing testimonials and gallery (about us).